In the past, if you wanted to game on the go, your only real option was to invest in a handheld gaming device like the Nintendo Switch or the PlayStation Vita. However, with the rise of powerful and affordable handheld gaming PCs, that may be about to change.
Portable Gaming PC – The New Way to Game
A handheld gaming PC, also known as a gaming handheld, is a small, portable personal computer that is designed for mobile gaming. It typically has a smaller screen than a traditional laptop or desktop computer and is powered by a mobile processor and graphics chipset.
- Most handheld gaming PCs are under ten inches (7- or 8-inch is the norm) in size, making them convenient to carry with you on the go.
- They typically have a smaller screen than a traditional laptop or desktop computer and are powered by a mobile processor and graphics chipset. This allows them to provide a great gaming experience while still being highly portable.
- They are typically powered by a mobile chipset, an APU, or an IGP, which provides great performance for mobile gaming.
- Handheld gaming PCs usually come equipped with physical buttons and joystick-style controls.
- They also have built-in speakers and Wi-Fi capabilities, so you can connect to the internet and play online multiplayer games.
- Most handheld PCs run on Windows OS. However, there are some exceptions, such as the Steam Deck, which runs on its own custom SteamOS, which is a Linux-based operating system that was developed specifically for gaming.
- They have an HDMI port, allowing you to connect them to a larger screen for a more immersive gaming experience.
Handheld gaming PCs are popular among gamers who want to take their games with them on the go.
Why is Handheld Gaming PC the Future of Gaming?
The development of technology in recent years has led to the creation of handheld gaming pcs, which offer a high-performance gaming experience that is portable and can compete with traditional desktop or console gaming. This has the potential to revolutionize the gaming industry, providing gamers with greater flexibility and convenience.
- Portability: Unlike a traditional desktop PC or even a laptop, most handheld gaming PCs can easily fit in your pocket, meaning you can take them with you wherever you go. This means that you can game on your commute, during lunch breaks, or even when you’re out and about exploring your local area. Because they don’t require any extra accessories like controllers or headsets, they’re also much easier to transport than other gaming options.
- Performance: It wasn’t that long ago that CPUs and GPUs were big, bulky pieces of hardware. They needed large cooling solutions and took up a lot of space inside a computer case. Today, however, CPUs and GPUs are much smaller. Thanks to advances in manufacturing and architecture, today’s CPUs and GPUs can deliver the same performance as their larger predecessors while taking up far less space. That means you can build a smaller gaming rig that doesn’t sacrifice performance. That’s why a portable gaming PC offers performance that is on par with traditional desktop PCs.
- Flexibility: One of the coolest things about handheld gaming PCs is that they offer a level of flexibility that other gaming devices simply can’t match. For example, most handheld gaming PCs come with built-in emulators which allow you to play games from classic consoles like the NES or the Sega Genesis. This means that you can have an entire library of nostalgic games at your fingertips without ever having to leave your couch. Many handheld gaming PCs also come equipped with multiple USB ports which allow you to connect external accessories like controllers or keyboards, or monitors for bigger screen display. This gives you the ability to customize your gaming experience and make it your own.
Our Picks: Best Handheld Gaming PCs
The Steam Deck is a portable gaming PC that was designed to allow users to play their Steam games on the go. The Steam Deck starts at $399, and it features a 4-core AMD Zen 2 CPU, an 8-core AMD RDNA GPU with 1GB of video memory, 16GB of RAM, and up to 512GB of storage. The Steam Deck also has a 7″ 60HZ IPS display (1280 x 800).
The Steam Deck is a powerful portable PC that is dripped out to customers throughout the year after their mass influx of pre-orders. The Steam Deck has been designed to be portable so you can bring the best of Steam with you wherever you go. The thick design makes it durable too.
Some reviewers have noted that the layout of the device looks strange, but many users find that it works well.
Ayaneo Air is powered by an AMD Ryzen 7 5825U processor, and while it’s not the most powerful handheld on the market, it can run many AAA games on low settings.
Ayaneo claims that the Air can play anything you throw at it thanks to the power-efficient processor and an OLED display which Ayano says will give the player “stunning visuals”.
The AYANEO Air Pro comes with a 1080p resolution and bright, crisp colors. It also has LEDs behind the analog sticks and a unique gradient color across the shoulder buttons, giving it a very unique look.
The AYANEO Air Pro is extremely portable, at only 21mm thick. Coming in at just over 400g, it’s also very lightweight so you can play for hours on end without getting tired.
AYN Odin is a handheld that was fully backed on Indiegogo within a couple of weeks. It can run Windows if you want the familiar OS on this handheld.
The Odin is different from other handhelds on the market in that it targets retro gamers rather than those who love to play AAA PC games.
AYN might be a new name in the world of handheld gaming, but the Odin they’ve produced is might impressive. It’s only $199, yet it’s got enough power to emulate 3DS and Gamecube games without any trouble.
That’s thanks to the 2.0GHz Dimensity D1000G CPU, ARM Mali-G57 GPU, and RG4B RAM that are all crammed into this 6″ 1080p IPS display device. It also feels great in the hand – really solid and well put together with great controls.
The battery life is pretty solid too. AYN has definitely made a strong case for themselves with the Odin and at this price point, it’s hard to see how anyone could resist giving it a go.